WELCOME TO THE CRESTVIEW TRANSPORTATION DEPARTMENT
(L- R Back Row, Melissa Fieldhouse, Randall Erath, Anita Garzoni, Colette Rupert, April Stear, Tracy Whitacre, Tracy Simmons, Richard Burbick)
(L-R Front Row, Debra Schaefer, Alice Haldiman, KJ Wood, Terrence Stockman, Nancy MacKenzie)
Each year the Crestview Local School District provides transportation to its students living within the school district’s boundaries and selected bulk stops at the edges of our boundaries for our open enrolled students. The intent and purpose of the Board of Education policies and procedures are to provide safe, reliable, and efficient transportation services to all eligible students. The guidelines for the transportation of students are covered by the Ohio Pupil Transportation Operation and the Safety School Rules as adopted by the Ohio Department of Education.
Our staff is committed to providing a safe, reliable, efficient service to our students, staff and our community. The Crestview Local School District covers 38 square miles in Columbiana County. The transportation department operates 11 daily bus routes that transport over 650 students. With our extracurricular activities and our routes, our buses travel a total of approximately 146,000 miles a year using around 29,000 gallons of fuel.
Please have your children at the school bus stop 5 to 10 minutes prior to the approximate bus arrival time and dressed appropriately for inclement weather conditions. Children must be able to keep all of their carry on items (including band instruments) safely on their lap during bus transportation.
You may reach our transportation department by calling (330) 482-5608
Our bus garage hours during the school year are 6:00 A.M. – 4:30 P.M. If your call is not answered immediately, please leave a message and we will return your call as soon as we can
LOADING AND UNLOADING BUS STUDENTS
We want to remind parents and students to be aware of loading and unloading students at bus stops. We would like to offer the following tips to remind your child while getting off and on the bus:
- Always remain in direct eyesight of the bus driver.
- Get to the bus stop at least 10 minutes before your assigned time.
- Take 10 giant steps back from the curb while waiting for the bus and 10 steps when exiting the bus.
- Never try to get anything left on the bus after exiting.
- Never reach underneath the bus.
- Always follow the driver’s direction for how to cross the street.
- Be alert to traffic and look both ways.
- Always cross in front of the bus, but only when the driver signals it is safe to do so.
Please note: At the beginning of each school year, there is a minimum of a 15-minute window for the school bus to arrive. After the first several weeks of school, the bus will be on a regular schedule and times may only vary a little depending upon traffic, mechanical breakdown, or other unforeseen delays.
Students are expected to be waiting at the designated bus pickup location five minutes prior to the arrival of the school bus. The bus picking up the students will not wait for students to walk from their home (front porch to the end of the driveway/bus stop) or other locations in order to meet the bus. When a student is not waiting at the bus stop, a delay is created for students riding on the bus later in the route. Therefore, in order to provide uniform service to all students, it is necessary for students to be waiting at the bus stop. Students are obligated to be at the bus stop five minutes prior to the bus arrival. The school bus will not return to a pickup location for a student that has missed the bus.
If your student has not been regularly using his or her designated bus stop, please contact the transportation office to reactivate the use of your student’s bus location.
- Alternating flashing amber (yellow) lights are to be used to warn motorists that the bus is stopping to take on or to discharge passengers.
- Alternating flashing red lights are to be used to inform motorists that the bus is stopped on the roadway to take on or discharge passengers.
- Stop arm shall be operated simultaneously with flashing red signal lights. A white flashing strobe light, individually switched, may be used, when unfavorable atmospheric conditions or time of day limit visibility (i.e., fog, rain, snow, darkness).
- Four-way hazard lights shall be activated at railroad crossings and turn-arounds unless prohibited by local ordinance.
- Headlights should be actuated during the operation of the school bus.
VIDEO SECURITY CAMERA.
Video security cameras are installed on some buses utilized by the Crestview Local School District.
Only students who are eligible for transportation through the Crestview Local School District are permitted on the bus. If an unauthorized individual enters a school bus, contact will be made with the appropriate law enforcement agency.
The school district may establish consolidated/cluster stops for student’s pickup and drop off. Students may have to walk a short distance to these assigned bus stops.
BUS EVACUATION DRILLS
The school district will conduct bus evacuation drills during the first quarter of each school year for all riders eligible for transportation.
SCHOOL BUS SAFETY RULES
- Pupils shall arrive at the bus stop before the bus is scheduled to arrive.
- Pupils must wait in a location clear of traffic and away from the bus stop at the “designated point of safety.”
- Behavior at the school bus stop must not threaten the life, limb, or property of any individual.
- Pupils must go directly to an available or assigned seat.
- Pupils must remain seated, keeping aisles and exits clear.
- Pupils must observe classroom conduct rules and obey the driver promptly and respectfully.
- Pupils may not use any verbal or physical threats to bully other students on the bus.
- Pupils must not use profane language.
- Pupils must refrain from eating and drinking on the bus except as required for medical reasons.
- Pupils must not use tobacco on the bus.
- Pupils must not have alcohol and drugs in their possession on the bus except for prescription medication required for a student.
- Pupils must not throw or pass objects on, from, or into the bus.
- Pupils may carry on the bus only objects that can be held in their laps.
- Pupils must leave or board the bus at locations to which they have been assigned unless they have parental, administrative, and transportation office authorization to do otherwise.
- The pupil must not put head or arms out of the bus window.
- Pupils are not to stand in their seats. Seated means back on the seatback, seat on the seat, feet on the floor.
- Transporting weapons, animals, pets, or glass containers on the bus is prohibited.
- Any conduct which would endanger any passenger, driver, or could result in the damage of the bus is prohibited.
- Parents are responsible for any damage or marking of the bus by pupils.
- Pupils must observe rules for crossing the street when exiting or entering a school bus. Watch for the bus driver’s hand signal to assure safety.
Excessive noise or loud talking is prohibited. At railroad crossings and other danger points, all talking and/or excessive noise is prohibited.
Address: 44100 Crestview Rd. Suite A
Columbiana, Ohio 44408
Telephone: (330) 482-5526 ext. 40113